Hi! Thanks for reading. This post looks better in our award-winning app, Tips & Tricks for iPhone.
A new version of Google Maps has appeared on the app store – the full point release, 3.0 to be exact, brings with it a decent list of new features, including in-app contacts availability and voice search.
The update is somewhat overdue; while Apple’s own Maps app didn’t have quite the impact it had hoped for, it’s since gained plenty of ground.
Google’s latest update will help the search giant stay on top of things – for now.
- Turn-by-turn navigation now displays distance, arrival time and quicker access to alternative routes
- Save offline maps to a custom list for when traveling or if you have a slow connection
- Public transport results now show total walking time for your trip and the next scheduled bus or train
- Sign in to see a “Places to review” list from recently saved or searched-for places
- If you have the Uber app, you can open it from Google Maps when comparing route options
- Access iPhone or iPad contacts directly from the Google Maps app
- Tap and hold anywhere on the map to drop a pin, save and share that location
- Search without typing using Google Voice Search
- Scale bar to estimate distances on the map
Google Maps version 3.0 can be downloaded for free.