Hi! Thanks for reading. This post looks better in our award-winning app, Tips & Tricks for iPhone.
Apple has released the next iterative update of iOS 10. Those already using iOS 10 can now upgrade to iOS 10.2. It’s the second significant update to iOS 10 and comes with a host of new features, general additions and tweaks. These focus mostly around the new TV app, which replaces the previous ‘Videos’ app. It now plays all video downloaded from iTunes alongside third-party streaming content. The idea is it brings all video content into one app, meaning you don’t have to switch between multiple apps.
However, from the start, there’s some key absences. Though it features content from HBO, Showtime and CBS, as well as allowing users to buy individual shows from stores other than iTunes, such as Starz or Hulu, a major player is missing: Netflix. The app is still useful; curators power useful recommendations, and it’s available universally across iPad and the Apple TV fourth generation if it’s been upgraded to the simulataneously released tvOS 10.1.
If it’s not clear from the above service compatibility, at present the TV app is only available in the US.
Elsewhere, a host of new emojis have been released and redesigned. New symbols include shrug, fingers crossed and face palm – check out the full upgrade on emojipedia.
iOS 10.2 has also improved on Live Photos – boosting image stablization and increasing the frame rate. New full-screen effects have also been added to Messages, while stories can also be saved in the News app.
To upgrade, go to Settings > General > Software Update and then follow the instructions. Make sure you backup your device first, which can either be done via iCloud, or iTunes. For a full guide on how to do either – read our guide.
Here are the full release notes for iOS 10.2:
- Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you’re currently watching and pick up where you left off
- Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
- Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
- Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals
- Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
- Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions
- Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
- Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
- Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
- Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
- Additional support for RAW digital cameras
- Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
- Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat, and Up Next
- Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums, and Songs in Library
- Stories you’ve saved for later now appear in the new Saved section
- The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
- It’s now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading
- Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
- Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
- Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation
- Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri-enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
- Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories, including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
- Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd-party accessories
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
- Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
- Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
- Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List